[thelist] CF query tip

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Thu Jan 31 13:15:01 CST 2002

At 11:32 AM 1/31/2002 -0700, Scott Brady expounded...
>Judah wrote:
>
>3)  cfqueryparam should also take care of it (and it's simpler).  I haven't
>had any single quote problems using cfqueryparam in SQL Server, Oracle, or
>(surprisingly) Access.

Ah, right.  Good call.  I forgot about that one because I never use
it.  There are so many ways to do things, I just never bother to use some
of the tags/functions.  I'd really prefer it though if CF did structures
right.  Ah well.  They are very useful, but sometimes vexing.

Judah

<tip type="ColdFusion Structures" author="Judah McAuley">

All of the structure functions have the word Struct in them except for one:
Duplicate.  It seems like Duplicate would be the same thing as StructCopy,
but they are slightly different.  Duplicate makes an entire copy of a
structure and assigns it to a new variable.  StructCopy makes a copy of the
*structure* of a structure and assigns it to a new variable.  This new
variable will still reference the values in the structure it was copied
from.  Duplicate makes a structure that is completely independent of the
structure it was copied from.

</tip>

<tip type="ColdFusion function StructClear()" author="Judah McAuley">

Be careful how you use the function StructClear.  How you call the function
will change how it works.

Example:  <cfscript>StructClear(foo);</cfscript>  will clear all of the
values in the structure foo and give you the structure back with all the
keys intact.
Example 2: <cfset foo = StructClear(foo)> will turn foo into a simple
variable with the value YES.  It will no longer be a structure and all of
your keys will be blown away.

Why?  StructClear() always returns a value of YES which is a simple
value.  When you assign it to foo, then foo becomes a simple variable and
is no longer a structure.
</tip>