[thelist] Legalities of "borrowing" images

Jon Hall jonhall at ozline.net
Thu Jan 31 17:16:00 CST 2002

I am wondering if someone out there can clear this up for me.
Hypothetical situation...

A client wants the logo of a large corpration that they are partnered with
on their web site. The client does not have said logo, and want me to get us
off of the web somewhere. Well it's right their on the large companies
website, why not just use that one?

I am not an expert in copyright issues, but I do know that the logo is
copyrighted to the large company and their website plainly states that all
content may on be used for personal use. I also know that under the DMCA,
copyright violation is now a criminal offense.

So does this mean using the large corporations logo without express
permission, on my clients web site is in violation of copyright law?

jon