[thelist] Trillian software and AOL

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Thu Jan 31 23:16:01 CST 2002

Nicole Parrot wrote:

>You know, MS is not 100% blameless, but AOL's attitude is even worse!

I am more interested by the following situation:
    - I have configured my firewall to block all incoming traffic unless
it is the result of a request from ym network.
    - MSN Messenger tries to make a request to port 80 each time you log
in. (I found this in my security logs)
    - If it cannot connect, it cuts you off and fails the login.
    - Trillian is able to connect to the MSN protocol without making the
same port 80 request and does not fail.

Can anyone explain why MSN is trying to access my network without my
permission?

<tip type="Ports and File Sharing" author="Michael Pemberton">
Be carefull which posts are being used by your filesharing programs.

I recently found that one of mine was trying to use the same post as another of my services.  It caused them both to fight and fail.

Where possible, manually set the ports to make sure that there are no conflicts.
</tip>
--
Michael Pemberton
mpember at phreaker.net