[thelist] GPL / copyleft applied to web content

iris laren4 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 07:20:00 CST 2002

dear evolters

i need some input on the copyright / copyleft issue
relating to web content.

i am going to write an 'accessible web design guide'
for use of academic staff in the UK, which will be
based on the one i already wrote for my own site.  i
don't believe in copyright and also want to make sure
my employers don't turn around one day, claim
intellectual property and ask me to remove the one on
my own site.

i have mentioned GPL / copyleft to them and they seem
to be fine with that.  the problem is that i'm not
sure which licence to apply and how.

there's a list of alternatives to the software focused
GPL here:
http://www.eff.org/IP/Open_licenses/open_alternatives.html
of which this one seems to apply best:
http://opencontent.org/opl.shtml

has anybody ever done anything similar?  advice
appreciated.

and where does html stand?  is it code or content?  do
i just licence the content or the code too?

iris

p.s. there's also an interesting article on the new
scientist site, according to them the first magazine
article published under copyleft.
http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/copyleft/copyleftart.jsp

=====