[thelist] trojan

Vic Wooten vicwooten at eaglewebservices.com
Fri Feb 1 09:42:01 CST 2002

Sharon,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sharon F. Malone" <sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] trojan

Vic wrote:

> BTW, I've already seen a couple of REs making reference to McAfee
Virusscan.
> I don't recommend it for several reasons.

Could you elaborate a bit? Why would you not recommend McAfee?

I have a special reason for asking since I've been a McAfee subscriber for
quite awhile but just the other day got socked in the teeth when I did -two-
scans for the MyParty virus. It did not pick it up ... and I had it!!!!!

When I found out its file name, I went ahead and deleted the REGCTRL.EXE
file because I had an uncomfortable feeling that it was lurking somewhere. I
had accidentally opened it (first time I've gotten caught doing the stupid
act). So I did a Search, Find when I found out its name, and sure enuf,
there it was big as life.

But I don't know what else to do now, not knowing how it has propagated
itself. I promptly emailed McAfee Support but have not heard back from them
yet.

---- Begin RE...lack of quotes -----

McAfees latest "boxed version" (not online subscription!) causes "some"
systems running Win 98 to hang on boot. Disabling scan on boot in
autoexec.bat eliminates this problem, but it is still a problem with me. It
took me several hours to figure out why a brand new OS was hanging!

Latest boxed version has some serious problems with XP...compatibility,
which have yet to be resolved.

You mentioned that it missed MyParty. I might question whether that was the
AV software itself, or the AV software virus defs not being up-to-date.

I have found no compatibility problems with Norton Antivirus 5.0 thru 2002
(any version of Windows), nor (virus defs being up-to-date!) have I found a
virus that it will not detect.

You can find step-by-step removal details for MyParty at the Symantec
website here...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.myparty@mm.html

(Line may wrap on URL!)

HTH,