AW: [thelist] Languages for CGI - small clarification

Kate Jenkins kate at bluemarble.net
Fri Feb 1 09:45:00 CST 2002

>> Which computer languages are used to write CGI for web? Please mention
>> all major and minor languages.
>
> major:
>
> - PHP
> - ASP (Active Server Pages, MS)
> - Perl (Practical Extraction and Reporting Language, mostly *nix)
>
> minor :
>
> - C/C++ (major  languages, but minor in web development.)
> - Tcl (used to be a 'major' some years ago)
<snip>

This may seem a bit nitpicky but ASP is not actually a programming
language. ASP can be coded in either JScript (not to be confused with
javascript) or more commonly VBScript. So if you know visual basic, you
can mentally replace ASP with VBScript in the "major" category. I hope
this is helpful,

Kate