[thelist] OT: Security Clearances

Daniel Frey danieljohnfrey at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 21:08:00 CST 2002

As a former member of the USAF on active duty and a current member of
the NY Air National Guard, I can attest that getting a top secret
clearance is no walk in the park.  Someone mentioned earlier in the
thread that they had to wait for 3 weeks for their clearance - I had to
wait for seven months, and I was 18 years old - not too much background
digging to be done.

It costs somewhere in the range of 50-60k to do all the research and
background checking for a TS.  Basically, it sounds like the company who
wants its prospective employees to already have clearances wants to save
some money.  I think if you have already had a TS clearance that it does
in fact have some duration to it that is independent of your employment.
As far as secret, classified or any of those wacky "special container"
clearances, I don't know.

And they definitely check the sources you give them - don't leave
anything out! :)

Good luck!

Dan