[thelist] Why code for standards

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sun Feb 3 15:27:00 CST 2002

Shirley Kaiser (most excellently!) wrote (among other things):

> I support standards and using valid code for many reasons (but I won't
> write my dissertation here). The bottom line, though, is that the industry
> needs standards. Standards are a base. For example, there are still
> millions of lamp styles and light bulb styles, but they've at least agreed
> on certain elements to follow to allow each part to come together and work
> well, which benefits consumers, developers, companies, and everyone.

More re' standards: perhaps many of the people on this list are too
young to remember the InterOp -- short for InterOperability -- trade
show, or the Connectathon event where engineers tested the ability
of different vendors' TCP/IP stacks and apps to work together, *and*
it was A Big Deal to have this happen.

We wouldn't have a usable Internet today if network developers had
taken the cavalier attitude toward standards that many browser and
Web developers continue to exhibit ...

And as someone who makes technology recommendations for my clients,
if I look at a third-party product and see non-standard crap in the
presentation layer, I just assume there's crap in the less visible
parts.

"Font tags ... hmmmm"

       ( sneak peek at watch - yep, it's 2002;     )
       ( sign engagement manager to hide checkbook )

"Next vendor, please!"                             :-)

FWIW!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --