[thelist] conference question/evaluation

Meredith Tupper meredith at pintsize.com
Sun Feb 3 17:21:00 CST 2002

In a vaguely tangential thread, evolters are discussing the
value of coding to standards.  I wonder how many evolters
don't do this because we're too small/too swamped/lack the
resources to keep up with changes, etc. (I'm in this
category.)  I confess to testing sites in too few browsers
(latest IE/Netscape on Win/Mac, Netscape on linux, plus
Opera on Win) and I don't often bother to validate my code,
even though I know I should, because it just doesn't seem
that relevant right now.

Similarly, I have a chance to attend a Managing Web
Development Projects conference, sponsored by CIO magazine,
in early March.
(http://www2.cio.com/events/viewevent.cfm?EVENT=4722)  The
copy says, "This introductory course is intended for people
who want to understand and practice the process of managing
the development of a Website."  Then it says, "Talk Like A
Project Manager.  [I'm not sure I want to do that.]  Project
Management has a vocabulary all its own. Understanding terms
such as acceptability criteria, critical path analysis,
Gantt chart, scope creep, and work breakdown structure is
necessary for communication with your team and other project
managers."  Again I wonder, how important is it for me to
understand "scope creep?"  Will "acceptability criteria"
allow me to keep checking sites in the same few browsers?

Bottom line: how relevant is this stuff to small business
folks like me?  Should we pay attention to it?  Make a
serious effort to learn and stay on top of it?  Buy an
O'Reilly book or two about it?

Just wonderin',
Meredith

--