[thelist] Why code for standards

Joergen Ramskov mqy4fxax36001 at sneakemail.com
Mon Feb 4 05:40:01 CST 2002

> Over and over again, when talking to Israeli web developers,
> when I mention standards, coding for standards, and using stuff like valid

> html and css, I get a rather lost look, and the reply "why code for
> standards? It works inIE5 as it is, so why bother making our new version
of
> our CMS system we are working on now generate valid code, and why get rid
of
> font tags- they are so convenient!"

You could ask them whether they want you as a customer or not? (yes, I know
you don't just change to a different CMS system, but putting a little
pressure on them doesn't hurt :))
I personally wouldn't do bussiness with a company that stupid. If they make
a CMS system that only works well with IE5, then they have a lot of work to
do when IE7 is released and all their IE5 optimized code breaks.

What is the advantages of having a website that's not accessible to all
people? No matter how few people aren't using IE, I have never understood
why people see this as an advantage. What if *that* single person which
couldn't access your site but couldn't, instead went to your competitor and
made a huge order there.

Personally, I sometimes order stuff online and I know quite a lot of stores
that have lost an order from me (not big ones, but if lots of other people
do the same...) simply because their website wasn't accessible in my browser
of choice. If I get the door smacked in my face when I try to enter a store
- I certainly don't order anything there!

--
Joergen Ramskov - Folding for the Cause!
http://arstechnica.com/etc/dcteams/dc_teams.html