[thelist] Re: A Different POV

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Mon Feb 4 10:33:00 CST 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hi Jay

All this is absolutely fantastic stuff.

I just wanted to throw in a couple of bones:
1) Time spent documenting work should be chargeable time - if the
    client's not paying for it, you are. And you paying for your time is A
    Bad Thing (tm).

2) That being the case, it should be part of your standard terms of
business
   & estimates

3) In producing the documentation, spotting areas of extra work is useful,
   i) As a warning to yourself and the client that it's *not* within
current scope
  ii) As a place to start the sales conversation for Phase 2 of the site
(this is why
     it's easier and more effective to retain existing clients than find
new ones).

4) A certain amount of the documentation (the skeleton at least) should be
   produced during the design phase, so you're not spending quite so
   long in post-mortem mode. And this will help your development, making
   it faster and less error-prone, both of which are Good Things(tm).

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org