[thelist] Re: A Different POV

Steve Cook steve.cook at evitbe.com
Mon Feb 4 10:59:00 CST 2002

I fully agree Jay. My point was more to illustrate that sometimes, even with
the best will in the world, the job of documenting gets left behind. I've
been in the industry for a good many years, but I've been mostly involved in
start-ups, where such niceties often take a back seat. Especially when (as
at my current company) all the code we produce is for internal use only.

At the end of the day, there is no way in hell I'm gonna be able to explain
to my boss that if I take a day extra now I might save some problems in the
future. However I by no means recommend this approach - it's just hard to
see a way past it.

Gah! I guess I'm having a bad day. I'll bow out now and leave with a tip as
I don't think I contributed anything positive to this conversation ;-)

<tip type="*nix & Windows">

Looking for a simple way to access your Windows machine from your Linux box
or vice versa? Look into VNC from http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

It's free and allows you to log into machines with completely different
architectures as if you were sitting in front of the machine yourself.

</tip>

----------------------------------
   WapWarp - http://wapwarp.com
 Wap-Dev - http://www.wap-dev.net
 Cookstour - http://cookstour.org
----------------------------------

<SNIP>

> But at what cost? It would be no surprise to anyone to find out that
> tremendous cost is expended in trying to figure out the
> programmer/developer did before them? As Ron pointed out,
> "The ability to
> write and document sites/apps/code that your successor can
> maintain and
> extend definitely has ROI implications". And as someone else
> once said, "If
> you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are
> you going to
> have time to do it over...and how much is it going to cost you?"
>
> If it is not seen as a sufficiently important business cost
> it's because it
> really hasn't come up yet. I have some stories that would
> curl your hair
> and your budget.

<SNIP>