[thelist] allowing users to use FTP to download a client's executable from their web site

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Mon Feb 4 11:47:01 CST 2002

A client emailed me the following message this morning:

"We need to be able to have folks download the installation from our site. (I
think it's FTP capability since that's what 2 folks have phrased it.)  How do
we do this?  The reason is that for some folks, they cannot receive large
files."

My initial reaction was shock. Wouldn't this entail giving users permission to go into our server and take any files they wanted? Or, is this a function that can be done using Anonymous FTP (which I'm not familiar with)?

Ideas/suggestions?

Sharon
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com