[thelist] SQL tools

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Mon Feb 4 12:46:00 CST 2002

SQL Enterprise manager has managed to completely blow itself up on my
computer.  No amount of uninstalling/reinstalling/registry hacking will
make it run again.  So in my frustration, I've decided to see whether there
are any good third-party tools out there for managing SQL databases.  I'm
primarily using Microsoft SQL Server 7 and 2000, but also do some
occasional work with mysql and have pondered trying postgresql.  In the
past, I've worked with Sybase and Oracle.  So I'm looking for something
that ideally would be pretty database agnostic but have knowledge of and
support for database-specific features.

Thus far I've been pointed to WinSQL
(http://www.indus-soft.com/winsql/).  It looks like a nice tool and the pro
version is only $149.  I'm willing to pay some money if it makes my life easy.

Anyone have any other tools that they like for their database tasks?  I'm
running W2K professional and all my databases reside on other machines.

Thanks,
Judah