[thelist] Re: Why code for standards

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Mon Feb 4 18:48:01 CST 2002

Bev,

> This W3C is an organization with mostly government and large / larger
> corporation employees as members.  To be a member of W3C is quite
expensive,
> out of the reach of most small businesses, contractors, educators.   In
> addition,  most of the groups are closed to the general public.

    However, the W3C typically opens up working drafts and proposed
recommendations for public comment via its open mailing lists. While this
doesn't allow the small fry to participate in the ground-level formulation
of the specs, it does allow for significant input from just about anybody
with anything truly worthwhile to offer.
    The W3C lists that I subscribe to are very low volume, and the heavies
themselves are generally participants, so meaningful input will be heard.
And most of the insiders strike me as intelligent, reasonable people who
want to produce high-quality recommendations, regardless of who helps them
achieve that.

James Aylard