[thelist] Volumetric lighting in Flash ?

BT Bigpant bigpant at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 5 08:07:00 CST 2002

Thanks for that Dan, it is a good article. I hage seen it before (and it
made my head hurt!). But that's not what I'm really after, if it is at all
possible. I have created a rather nice cinematic lighting effect in 3DSMax
that shines a light behind some text and moves left to right. The light
shines through the spaces between the letters, and 'blinds' you in the
middle. It only works with volumetric lighting with some fog at render time,
so I would be surprised if any app. could handle it. Even Director 8.5
suggests using cones with 50% alpha to achieve the effect, so I might just
have to fake it, or render it and embed the bitmaps into Flash.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.

Phil