[thelist] Re: Why code for standards

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Tue Feb 5 08:59:00 CST 2002

Hi Bev,

Just curious ... and I do see this is a sensitive point.  [I'm not
trying to pour salt.]

A commitment to work with a standards body (thinking of non-web things
at the moment) is usually a fairly expensive long-term proposition.  I'm
pretty sure it involves a significant commitment of time, cash, travel
and employees.

I used to spend a good deal of time working with smaller businesses.  I
don't recall too many that had enough 'fat' to be able and willing to
afford that kind of investment.

So, if they aren't going to 'sit' on the standards board, how is a
smaller business going to participate?  Input from surveys?

I thought professional organizations were supposed to be a vehicle for
individual and/or smaller businesses to contribute to the standards
process. (And I've seen plenty of smaller companies reluctant to let
their employees participate in those.) Granted, I think the web corner
of the world is a little young and doesn't have affiliate  organizations
to the same extent as other indutries/interests.

Or were you going in some other direction?

RonL.