[thelist] WAS Why code, POV, Clarify Standards, et. al.

jay.blanchard at thermon.com jay.blanchard at thermon.com
Tue Feb 5 12:03:01 CST 2002

www users vs. the demographics of the W3C

Are you referring to Joe Q. User, or are you referring to Alice A.
Webdesigner? The difference, I believe, is important.

Joe Q. just wants everything to work. He is tired (in my experience) of
going to web sites where it says, "Best Used With [Insert Browser Name
Here]" and having erros being thrown at him because of proprietary or
nearly validated code.

Now if it is Alice we have a different set of requirements. Does she want
to "code once, and work everywhere"? Or does she want to duplicate effort
to achieve an end?

There is a rule in physics which states, "The mere act of observation
changes the observed." So if you "take issue with the access issues and
organizational shortcomings of most of the standards and guidelines groups
and their leadership's obvious biases, etc.  I believe they should all
study the facts..." the facts are observed, and observation is modified to
fit each bias...even yours. However, discussing this bias about facts in
large groups still tends to get to the heart of the matter (i.e. I say the
sky is baby blue, you say the sky is azure, and another says that the sky
looks depressed....the distillation of this is blue).

On exclusion; PAL is exclusive.... pot & kettle = black

Jay