[thelist] Keep A Log of Downloaded Files from Web Site - How To?

Webmaster webmaster at archetype-it.com
Tue Feb 5 13:55:01 CST 2002

At 13:33 05/02/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi everyone --
>
>I want to create a simple log, or way to keep track of the number of
>"clicks" a file gets for downloading, but the webhost doesn't support
>anything additional like PHP or SSI.
>
>Can it be done with JavaScript? Or something else? Thanks.

If you at least have CGI, I suppose you could do something in Perl to
achieve this (I'm no expert in Perl). Otherwise, why not just use the web
server log file, if you only want to know how many times a file was accessed?

I don't see how client-side Javascript could do it, because you need
something server-side to write to the log.

Regards

Veronica Yuill                 email: veronicay at archetype-it.com
Archetype Information Technology Ltd  http://www.archetype-it.com/english/