[thelist] Design Credit and Copyright and Ownership

Jon jon at kickinsites.com
Thu Feb 7 07:34:01 CST 2002

Hi Everybody,

Does claiming design credit imply ownership of the copyright to the site or
ownership of the design of a site? In other words if the contract states
that the copyright belongs to the Client and that the Web Site ("all
developed source code and supporting documentation") is the property of the
Client, does this imply that the design credit would necessarily belong to
the Client or are these two separate issues.

We are negotiating the terms of the contract now, and the Client does not
have a problem with me including the site in my portfolio (there is
currently a clause in the contract allowing me to do this), but I want to
know what statements I will then be able to make about the work I did on the
site or what language should be included in the contract for me to make
certain statements about the work I did.

Hopefully this makes sense. But I may be tending towards the
semi-comprehensible garble that I have been reading in the contract for the
last couple hours.

Thanks,
Jon