[thelist] Re: Why code for standards

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Thu Feb 7 08:37:00 CST 2002

> Hi Bill
>
> I'm still struggling a bit with this - exactly what would this group *do*
> with its campaigning focus?
>
> More standards?
> Better standards?
> More community involvement in producing the same standards?
> More enforcement of standards?
> Something else?

> If it's the third, it sounds like a bit of metooism

I think I may be somewhat guilty as charged of metooism, then. However, I
don't feel there's anything wrong with a person wanting to be involved with
something that effects them directly. We have a whole nation here built on
that philosophy, after all. Every few years in November we all go downtown
and pull the lever to say, 'metoo'.

Anyway, there are two or three points in particular that have been brought
up that struck me in discussing this over the past several days:

- First, there is some concern out there that a great many individuals and
groups who would like to be involved somehow in standards development
process are not able to be for financial and other reasons.

- Second, and my personal point, I don't feel that the W3C on its own has
the widely penetrating influence that other standards organizations that
have existed for a much longer period of time do within big corporations and
other organizations, and a tie-in between stand-orgs would be beneficial to
all.

- Third, as a group, the people on the evolt list are an ideal base for
beginning a group whose purpose is to contribute in some way to the
development and establishment of standards for web technology.

All of that said, this effort stops on the day that it seems like nobody
wants to be involved. It is not about what I think we should do. I had an
idea that started with something like, "If a person wanted to be involved
badly enough but couldn't do so on their own, they would be smart to find
others in their same boat and form a group."

So far, I and about two handfuls are in the boat, and I don't think any of
us are really sure about exactly what we'll do, but we all know we want to
do something besides stand around and complain.

BH