[thelist] Re: Why code for standards

Bev Corwin bev at enso-company.com
Thu Feb 7 10:47:03 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis at hotmail.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 3:51 AM
Subject: RE: [thelist] Re: Why code for standards

> Hmmmm....nasty. Then we'd have to found a public pressure group a la WaSP,
> but focused on changing some details of the standards instead of getting
> people to use the standards.
>
> I wouldn't much like founding yet another closed-off group that only
thinks
> its own thoughts. In my opinion this is the cause of all problems: people
on
> this kind of committees simply lose contact with day-to-day web
development
> and start making small but annoying errors.
>
> ppk

I agree,  there are enough of these closed-off or as Martin called it,
locked down, groups already in existance.  The world needs less of them, not
more.  I would like to see a group with a sincere intention of serving the
public,  larger group of real web workers  / users and not a corporate
welfare elitist group of corporate employees and representatives working
only in the interests of their corporations.  There needs to be some real
(demographically acurate) representation of the larger www users out there,
and I belive there are plenty of qualified people available to serve.  My
personal preference is to see any new group find its niche somewhere
inbetween this locked down world and the rest of the www world, and possibly
serve as some kind of embassador for that basic concept, help unlock the
information lock down, and to encourage these orgs (not just the W3C) to
start looking at better organizational design, as well as who they are
supposed to really be serving in the first place.  How can the majority of
web users, whomever they are, ever implement / deploy standards,  if they
cannot even have access to the information in the first place?  Its
rediculous!

Bev