[thelist] Re: Why code for standards

Bev Corwin bev at enso-company.com
Thu Feb 7 11:48:01 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Re: Why code for standards

> Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers
>
> -------------------- Start of message text --------------------
>
> Hi Bev
>
> Quick check - by 'web users' you mean 'people who produce web
> pages/systems',
> which is a subset of 'people who view web pages/systems' ?

I think there are a lot of "general" users out there. Small businesses who
build their own sites, students working on non profit sites,  research
groups... I could go on and on with the lists of possiblities....even every
day "joes and janes" who just want to build something... whatever... I'm not
so caught up on this ideal that only pro IT corporate employees can be
productive contributors to the WWW efforts.  There are some mighty amazing
retired IT folks out there too,  who would love to contribute in various
ways.  I don't have these elitist ideas about these things. I've found some
corporate employee types to be less knowledgable in many things concerning
WWW issues than some retired sorts, or students... teachers, web devs,
private or public.... I just believe there is too much elitism and
prejudidice on these things and would like to see some courageous people
begin to challenge some of their stereotypes.  I would like to see the
information published in more languages too,  but I must say,  they are
doing a pretty good job at that so far.  At least their hearts are in the
right place on that one, and it seems the translations are good quality too.
I simply think less exclusive policies will make the WWW a better place to
be in the long run.

> As for not having information - I wonder how many people are even coding
> all
> the *released* recommendations, let alone for what is to come.

Yes, I think there is a need for a bridge there.  I think if there were a
bridge,  you'd find more people volunteering to start using the
recommendations.  There is definately a big gap out there, and its only
widening by the current policies, attitudes, etc.  Re: the released
recommendations issue... I think there are many reasons for this too....
many start ups are thinking ahead of the curve anyway and planning out there
somewhere... it just depends on the situation.  As we have said before,  not
an easy thing to generalize.... so its better not to generalize,  one way or
the other.  Would be very nice if somebody decided to study this issue...
until then,  I guess we see what we see.

Bev