[thelist] SSI and search engines

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Thu Feb 7 13:49:11 CST 2002

 >I am thinking about adding server side includes to my site. Is this a
 >problem in getting the search engines to index the site properly?
 >Is there a disadvantage in search engine positioning in using SSI?

No. SSI's are processed server side before the page is finally displayed to
the user (or the engine), so there's no downsides in doing so. Now, with
that flat statement outta the way, you *will* start to run into
difficulties if you start using query strings, like:

    http://www.myserver.com/index.shtml?user=morbus

Some search engines will ignore any URL with ? in the title, since that
represents dynamic content that (could possibly) always change.

You can read an article by yours truly that demonstrates
a crafty way of getting around the ? problem here:

  http://evolt.org/article/Search_Engine_Friendly_SSI_Image_Gallery/20/15882/

--
Morbus Iff ( softcore vulcan pr0n rulezzzzz )
http://www.disobey.com/ && http://www.gamegrene.com/