[thelist] Interview Questions

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Thu Feb 7 15:47:01 CST 2002

>>>I'm actually writing a small quiz to give our candidates before the
interview just to verify that they have some basic SQL skills, Advanced HTML skills, programming logic...<<<

Wow, you are only looking for ONE person to have all those skills? I hope you're paying them extremely well, as programming is VERY different than designing web pages, in my opinion.

When I was involved in hiring an IT Manager here, we gave the candidates some hypothetical situations and asked them to tell us the steps in working through those situations. ("Say you were going to migrate the entire office staff over to a brand new server. How would you do that?") It worked very well, but be prepared for different people to address the problem in different ways - meaning, don't assume there's just one right answer. And... just for the record, we didn't have anyone who lied about their skill level.

Also, you could give them some sort of design quiz... give them a drawn-out design and have them explain how they would code the page to make it look like the drawing. Ask them about graphics optimization - that's an area that a lot of "wanna-be's" don't know much about. Heck just ask them what it MEANS - ("We ran one of our pages through Net-Mechanic and it told us to optimize our graphics. How would you do that?")

Just a couple thoughts. :) GOod luck!
Janet