[thelist] Interview Questions

Bill Lovett bill at ilovett.com
Fri Feb 8 00:32:01 CST 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 01:40:16PM -0800, Kristy Frey wrote:
> Anyone out there have suggestions for questions or techniques to
> verify that someone is truly qualified for a web development
> position  during an interview.

Once upon a time I subjected prospective site builder candidates to
what I thought was a 3 question cake walk quiz. In the first question
I asked for 5 names of important names in the web development world
and 5 sites they used as reference points to help solve problems. If
the person put in names like Zeldman or Neilson or evolt or
webreview, that was a good preliminary sign. Another question asked
the candidate to hand code a javascript rollover function. If they
couldn't, or if they dropped in a Dreamweaver function, that was pretty
telling. And finallly I asked for their ideas on how to cut up an
especially tricky comp.

Maybe easy questions are the way to go. Then at least you can gauge a
minimum level of knowledge, and know which areas to investigate
further during the rest of the interview. Asking elaborate
questions might do more harm than good if the candidate worries that
everything hinges on their ability to "pass the test".

-bill