[thelist] HTML e-mail tracking

Shoshannah Forbes xslf at xslf.com
Sat Feb 9 12:08:20 CST 2002

Well, many email clients come with scripting turned off by default these
days, in order to avoid the many email viruses/worms who use scripts.
Many other turn it off manually for the same reason (and to get the added
bonus of avoiding browser pop-up window from spam mail).
Another issue that you should take into account is that not everyone reads
there email online. When reading Email offline, the single pixel trick and
JavaScript would not work anyway, since there is no connection with the
server when the email is opened.

IMHO, if you can manage that, is to track RESPONSES to the email via an
encoded link (see for example how ZDnet HTML newsletters and C|Net HTML
newsletters have all the links set in the way to track responses).

HTH