[thelist] Naming Conventions [was: Documentation]

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Sun Feb 10 10:49:00 CST 2002

> Another good practice (this is mentioned in several programming books) is
> appending the type abbreviation to a variable name. Somewhere I heard that
> this sort of technique actually has a name, but it escapes me right now.
> Here is an example :
>
> strUN (string)
> intX  (integer)
> lngX  (long)

I have heard of this and consider variable naming conventions a Good Thing,
  but web application development languages are generally loosely typed and
there's often no way of telling exactly what form field input is going to
look like. I don't know why the datatype is valuable information in this
scenario, and I would be curious to know what others are using.

I have heard of prepending variable names with their source, for example
fFirstName is from a form field entry and dFirstName is from a database.
Have any of you sage developers found a good, workable naming convention?

Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.
http://pajunas.com