[thelist] OT: Email forwarding service recommendations (long term + free)

Michael Pemberton pemberton_m at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 10 17:01:00 CST 2002

The service I have been using for the last 6 years is hotpop.  They offer
either a pop or forwarding account and also a range of domains.  They also
allow you tp switch the type of account (pop / forwarding) at any time.

This, combined with the ability to farward to more than one account (i use a
second account as an archive for all my mail and also to make sure that all
my mail is getting through on my main freebie pop account.

If all else fails, you can't go past evolt. :)

>MyRealBox.com
>Offers forwarding, pop, and imap
>Downside: systematically blocks all mail coming from Yahoogroups so you
>can't use it for the yahoogroups mailing list

I have seen this option on one of my other accounts that I have with
gmx.net.  They have the option of blocking all hotmail / yahoo mail that
arrives from a source other than the original servers.  This means that
spammers that are using hotmail addresses but not the hotmail server can't
get through.

<tip author="Michael Pemberton" type="Email Transfer">
For those out there who may be one of a group/family who use the same PC for
internet access, here's a great way to get everyone's email working
together.

There are a range of useful mail servers out there that allow you to run
your own accounts locally and also pull in mail from external accounts.

You can congifure the server to transfer mail regardless of who is actually
logged on to the machine.  This way you can have your email sent /
downloaded for you without having to be the person using the PC.
</tip>