[thelist] Naming Conventions [was: Documentation]

Simon Dell simondl at epic.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 10:33:01 CST 2002

At 10:51 10/02/02 -0600, you wrote:
>>Another good practice (this is mentioned in several programming books) is
>>appending the type abbreviation to a variable name. Somewhere I heard that
>>this sort of technique actually has a name, but it escapes me right now.

All the C and C++ books i read (only 2 or 3, and i never finished 'em!)
talked about "Hungarian" notation. I think this referred to the specific
set of abbreviations prepended to variable names. The books recommended
using this convention, partly as good practice and partly because the
Microsoft programmers themselves were supposed to use it to. I don't know
any MS employees so i couldn't ask them.