[thelist] OT: Email forwarding service recommendations (long term + free)

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Mon Feb 11 16:55:00 CST 2002

wowza. 25 emails to me in the last hour from thelist members asking to
get m.e.o accounts made me get my ass in gear to get the application
form working again. :)

http://members.evolt.org for those of you that emailed me please, the
application form is working again. thanks for the kick in the ass :)

<tip type="RAID Arrays">
In general, RAID5 disk arrays should only be used on
machines/applications/mount points that are *not* disk I/O intensive.

The things that make RAID5 attractive - redundancy, parity, etc - from a
reliability standpoint make it a nightmare when looked at from a
performance standpoint.

If you have a machine that requires heavy disk I/O (mailservers,
fileservers, etc) a RAID0(striping) or RAID0+1(mirroring) is your best
bet. For machines where reliability is key and there isn't a lot of
filesystem activity(webservers, DB servers, etc) because data is stored
in RAM(hopefully) RAID5 is your friend. :)

</tip>

.djc.