[thelist] Muliple versions of IE

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 12 05:26:01 CST 2002

>I'm trying to add IE 5.0 to my computer for local testing purposes.  I
>can't get the installer program to run because it's detecting a newer
>version that is currently there.  Does any one have a way to install
>multiple versions of IE on the same PC?

If 6 is on your computer you can't do a thing. However, I installed 3, 4 and
5 next to each other in the following way:

1) Start with a clean Windows install with IE4.
2) Install IE5, being sure to choose Custom Install, Advanced, 'Keep IE4 in
Compatibility Mode'
3) Install a 16bits IE3 and ignore Windows' moanings during installation.

However:

1) It's not possible to add IE6 to this setup.
2) I've heard that IE4 in compatibility mode is slightly different from a
'pure' IE4 (but I've never actually seen this for myself).

ppk