[thelist] Re: FTP clients that synchronize

Mike Combs mike at combsnet.com
Tue Feb 12 18:40:25 CST 2002

What I like about FTP from Dreamweaver is that you just select the file and
click upload.  You don't have to worry about making sure you've got the
right folder set on the FTP server/Web host.  This is really great if you
"include required files".

What I hate about FTP from Dreamweaver is that it's completely unreliable,
freezes the app for a long time and has trouble creating and deleting
folders and dealing with some file types.

So far, the best solution I've found is Vicomsoft's FTP client for the
Macintosh.  The key feature it has is the ability to synchronize between
your desktop and the FTP site.  As it downloads files, it can set the date
to match the date on the server, not the date it was downloaded.  I can
synchronize my whole site and it'll only upload the changed files from my
desktop.  Or I can backup my whole site and only get the changed files from
the server.

Is there any Windows FTP client that can do this?

Two minor drawbacks to Vicomsoft's FTP.  1) Without a resedit hack, it
couldn't "see" files that started with "." like ".htaccess" on my
server.  It depends on your FTP server, and it's an easy fix anyway.  2) It
takes a TON of mouseclicks to change the permissions (755, etc.) on a
file.  Why did they use a popup menu for a yes/no option?

...mike