[thelist] Tip: Variable management

Michael Barrett mbarrett at triad.rr.com
Wed Feb 13 11:05:16 CST 2002

<disclaimer>
I spend the majority of my time pretending to be a designer or pretending to
be an information architect...so the time I spend pretending to program is
limited...if this tip is obvious...sorry, I'm just a dumb newbie.
</disclaimer

<tip type="Variable management" author="Michael Barrett">
Keeping track of variables for a web based application can be
tough...because there can be many, and many iterations or versions of the
same variable. Establishing a good variable naming convention will help keep
you organized. But why not take it a step further? Create a spreadsheet in
your favorite Office-like program, with one column listing all variables,
and other columns categorizing variables by type or function. For example, I
have a spreadsheet with a column for all variables, form variables, required
form variables, and control variables (if (isset $foo)). With this
spreadsheet open as I'm coding, I can easily copy and paste variable names
into the code...no typos!...or easily import variables into a database, do a
mail-type merge for lazy coding or what have you.
</tip>

--
Michael Barrett
-O^O-