[thelist] browsing in Netscape 6.2 with images turned off

Trussell David N David.N.Trussell at irs.gov
Wed Feb 13 11:38:00 CST 2002

>> I've found that if I view a page in Netscape 6.2 with images
>> off, not only
>> do the images not appear, but neither do alt tags. This means
>> where images
>> are used for navigation there's no clue to where links might be. Does
>> anybody know a way around this for designers?
>> ---
>>
> Have you tried using the title attribute aswell as alt? I
> have a feeling NS6
> prefers that.
>
> Olly.

I wish I could remember where I read a dialogue with one of the main
designers of Mozilla. He stated that he was no longer going to perpetuate
the mis-use of the "ALT" tag. According to him (and the W3C) the "TITLE" tag
is actually the correct one to use. I can't back this up but I *do* remember
reading his response to questions about the "ALT" tag.  He maintains that
just because everybody has been (mis)using the "ALT" tag for years doesn't
make it right.