[thelist] browsing in Netscape 6.2 with images turned off

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Wed Feb 13 15:09:01 CST 2002

MRC wrote:

>     The original post said that Netscape 6.2 fails to display the alt text
> when images are turned off, not as a tooltip, but simply as on-screen text.
> If this is true, I would without question consider this a bug, as it is one
> of primary intended purposes of the alt attribute.

Sorry for jumping in on this thread late, but I had to check and sure as
shootin', N6.2 on Windows and Mac display no alt text if you turn off
images in your preferences.

However, they *do* display alt text if an image is actually missing from
the src path.

So, maybe not a bug, but an interesting (and bad, IMO) interpretation of
how people might want to use the ability to turn off images.

David