[thelist] screen tints for web?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 16 11:23:00 CST 2002

> From: Joel Canfield <Joel at spinhead.com>
>
> Well, almost. Usually. I don't have screen shots of failures, but
> there's a pretty good webmonkey article at
> http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/templates/print_template.htmlt?met
> a=/web monkey/00/37/index2a_meta.html (wrap-O-rama) that explains why,
> sometimes, randomly, you can't know which 'safe' color you'll snap to.

this link throws an error on me (after fixing it), dunno why... but i
recognize it as the websafe article i also posted, so here's the link
to the regular version (with all the ad banners, sadly):

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/00/37/index2a.html

> Tracking your visitors' screen resolutions, if possible, would tell
> you how much to worry.

and believe it or not, it is possible to not only track screen
resolutions, but bit-depth as well, provided you have some server-
side scripting capability...

how?  i'm glad you asked:

Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part I
http://evolt.org/article/list/17/2295/

this solution allows you to grab the screen resolution, window size,
and bit-depth of your users...

it uses JS to capture the info and write it to a cookie, and ASP to
pull it out of the cookie and write it to a flat file... but you could do it
in any server-side language that can read cookies and write to a file
or data source...

feel free to rate it...