[thelist] Beware - dumb question ahead - Showing off your ASP pages

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 17 10:44:08 CST 2002

> From: "Faye Tarzwell(FayeC)" <ftarzwell at fayec.com>
[...]
> show........ So how can someone prove that there is actually ASP code
> on the page being shown? Very lame question I know but I kind of got
> puzzled by an interview I went to....the lady was looking for ASP
> content in the source code....I told her...ASP code won't show in the
> source....she looked at me as I was an alien....Am I going insane
> here?

your assertions are correct... ASP is a server-side scripting
technology, much like PHP, JSP, etc...

the only way you would see ASP code is if the server was
misconfigured and passing that code to the browser... it can
happen...

otherwise, all ASP is parsed on the server...

many people confuse client-side VBScript with ASP... they are
different things...

ways to tell if a page is probably ASP-driven:
- it ends in .asp
- netcraft.com/whats (tells you what a server is running)