[thelist] evolt membership

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Mon Feb 18 09:36:00 CST 2002

Elfur Logadottir wrote:

> and then the $64.000 question:
> as members of thelist mailinglist *and* the website are we therefore members
> of evolt.org? Is the evolt.org community larger than the mailing lists and
> the website?
>
> Me, i think it is larger, but i think that all those who are members of our
> lists and/or our website and/or have meo accounts are evolt.org members in
> the larger scope of things.

oh exactly, i wasn't trying to pigeonhole what is a 'member' and what
isn't.. in fact, i'd say there are some excellent 'members' of evolt.org
that aren't on thelist *or* signed up for the website. they participate
in evolt.org as much, if not more, than 'real' members but just don't
have the official badge or anything..

All in all, its a persons actions which define their level of
commitment(and therefore membership within the community), not always a
tangible heuristic that can be measured out with a yardstick.. Those
actions are usually evaluated by other members (and nonmembers) of the
community over a period of time through interactive methods such as
debating an idea, sharing a solution, or shooting the shit on IRC or
thchat list. Although there's no formal process or vote that takes
place, it is the overall community which decides who it sees as members,
equals, peers, etc.. and thats a *good* thing :)

.djc.