[thelist] html email vs. text email

MGrover at cmp.com MGrover at cmp.com
Tue Feb 19 13:12:01 CST 2002

Recently, one of my email accounts started displaying HTML and a newsletter I
have always received in text suddenly appeared in HTML. Being a marketing geek,
I pondered the fact that I had never told them that I could now accept html.

Prodding into the source, I discovered that the message was being delivered to
me in both formats.  First, the source displays "Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1" and then the text format message  and the source displays

I'm thinking that before HTML was enabled, the message came and the text version
displayed.  After HTML, the html version displayed.

Anybody have any thoughts on deploying this and, partuclarly, can anybody point
me to any documentation that will help explain the limits and parameters of this
to me?

Thanks,

Mike Grover.

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of CMP Media.

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  If you
are not the intended recipient of this message please do not read, copy, use or
disclose this communication and notify the sender immediately.  It should be
noted that any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
action or reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient is prohibited.