[thelist] Base resolution?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 19 13:52:01 CST 2002

> From: "Faye Tarzwell(FayeC)" <ftarzwell at fayec.com>
>
> I know this has been discussed many times before but since I read
> about Microsoft excluding the 640X480 resolution from its new OS I now
> wonder how this has changed the way we design pages.... I mean...of

it hasn't affected me at all... i still account for all users, so my
pages scale down to handle them... i also consider WebTV on a lot
of client sites, so there's that, too... and then there's always palm-
tops running WinCE....

> course we should aim for a liquid design that will accomodate all
> resolutions but whenever the format doesn't allow for a liquid design
> what resolution do you all use as base? Do you still target the layout
> design for a 640X480 resolution or you go with the majority 800X600?

depends on the site... if i truly cannot do a lower-res design, i
research the users, gather info on their stats, and take it from
there...

if i can't do that, i work with general stats, using the lowest-
common denominator i can get away with...

if i can't do that, it's the client...

> Should we all have the 800X600 as "the" base resolution for design
> considering a general audience (if that actually exists)? Just a few
> thoughts to ponder....

no.

but then, i've already pondered it for my own work, so my answer
might be different for others here...