[thelist] php/mysql help

Sarah Heffron sarah at meatlike.com
Tue Feb 19 18:27:00 CST 2002

Sorry for not being clear, anyhow, the data is coming from mysql.

This is what I have:

$sql = "select * from entries order by entry_date desc";
$result = mysql_query($sql);
$total_entries = mysql_num_rows($result);

for ($i = 0; $i < $total_entries; $i++) {
	$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
	$date = strtotime ($row["entry_date"]);
	$date = date("F j, Y", $date);
	echo "$date<br>";
	echo $row["entry_body"] . "<br>";
	echo "<br><br>";
}

I want to print out a date and then all the entries for that date underneath
it (this is to be a "food journal") and then onto the next date, etc.. Right
now what I have will print out date and entry for every entry no matter
what. ColdFusion had a nice group attribute that made this quite easy, I'm
not sure if theres an equivalent for PHP.

So what will print out is something like this:

February 19, 2002
1.
2.
3.

February 18, 2002
1.
2.

rather than:

February 19, 2002
1.
February 19, 2002
2.
February 19, 2002
3.

I hope that that is more easily understood.

Thanks,
Sarah