[thelist] Harvesting tips (reinventing the wheel)

George Dillon <> Evolt! evolt at georgedillon.com
Wed Feb 20 05:52:01 CST 2002

I'm playing with a Perl script to analyse all my saved up evolt mail and
create my own off-line tip harvest from it (just for personal use).

Simple extraction of tips from messages is not too hard (once I've extracted
the messages from the OE folders using DBxtract -
http://chattanooga.net/~scochran/DBXtract.htm ) - the complicated bit is
what to do with badly formed tips - ones which have nothing more than a tip
tag... Currently I'm throwing away all tips which have no type="" but I
intend to build a routine to scan the tips themselves for keywords to make a
best guess at what the tip is about...

Just wondered if anyone else had done the same and could save me the effort?

Or if anyone would be interested in seeing the same (and vastly improving my
amateurish code)  when it's done.

HTH

George Dillon