[thelist] Front Page - does it suck?

Dan Romanchik dan at danromanchik.com
Wed Feb 20 12:43:04 CST 2002

I think it depends on how large the site is and the extent of the
modifications that the client is going to make. If the updates are going to
be relatively few, and the site isn't that extensive, then using the later
versions of FrontPage won't suck that badly.

Is this site something that would be amenable to a database-driven solution?
If so, that might make things easier for both of you. I just recently
completed work on a site that provides information on 50+ masters degree
programs. The kicker was that when information about a program was updated,
often four or five different pages would have to be modified.

Along with the designer, I developed a database that contained the program
information and scripts for each web page that dynamically pulled the latest
information out of the database and displayed it. Included was several web
pages that the administrators are going to use to maintain the data in the
database.

The nice thing about this approach is that the designer maintains control
over the look of the pages. The client can't muck it up--as they could if
they used FrontPage--but they can modify the content as necessary.

Dan
Dan Romanchik - FreeAgent Writer, Editor,  and Web Developer
dan at danromanchik.com, 734-930-6564