[thelist] Front Page - does it suck?

Webmaster webmaster at archetype-it.com
Wed Feb 20 13:49:09 CST 2002

At 11:46 20/02/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm curious to know if
>FrontPage still sucks (with the latest version) or if we're assuming it
>still sucks based solely on earlier versions.

I think too many people are assuming. Yes, FP extensions suck, and always
have done. But if you steer clear of those, FP2000 is a perfectly
acceptable WYSIWYG editor (I prefer to use Textpad myself!). It doesn't
mess with your code, and it has some really good site management features
(better than Dreamweaver's IMHO).

I teach a beginners' Internet course for the Open University, and many of
the students happily use FP to produce web pages because it looks/works
just like the Office apps they are used to. Dreamweaver doesn't -- it's
quite hard to get to grips with if you don't have any experience with Web
authoring.

Just my 2 cents! like Dan, I still find the best solution is to use a
db-driven system -- which doesn't have to be expensive. Or, if it's "news"
type pages, why not look at using a blogging tool such as Blogger or
Greymatter? You can create a template, and the users can easily update the
content.

--
Veronica Yuill
Moderator, I-Design http://www.adventive.com/lists/idesign/summary.html