[thelist] TIP - Event Bubbling in BRIO 6.5

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Wed Feb 20 14:52:00 CST 2002

Hi Gang,

Hey - we *did say* even weird stuff could be used as tips, right?
Here's one that's been driving me batty lately ... well ... battier than
usual at any rate.

;-)

<tip type="BRIO 6.5 semi-implementation of event bubbling" author="Ron
Luther">

Aside: {'BRIO' is one of those 'enterprise' web-reporting tools for
mining data out of your corporate databases.}

The 6.5 version of BRIO kinda uses event bubbling.  Why do we care?
Several reasons:

(1) It's not documented - so you could end up like me - spending hours
and hours trying to figure out what could possibly be wrong with the
report you are working on with no help from the documentation and even
less help from vendor support.

(2) BRIO has not yet implemented any kind of boolean
'window.event.cancelBubble' element in their DOM to allow you to turn
this property off for specific elements -- so you are going to have to
learn to design around it.

(3) Any time a user clicks a command button, (or other clickable
element), on one of your reports - not only will the "OnClick" event
fire, (as it should), but the "OnActivate" event for the section the
command button is embedded within will ALSO fire!  Again!  [It fired
once when the user opened that section of the report.]

On the plus side, the 'OnStartUp' document level event does not seem to
refire.

(4) {I *did* say "semi-implemented" didn't I?}  It looks like the
command button 'OnClick' event bubbling to the section 'OnActivate'
event only occurs if your 'OnClick' script "touches" another section.
E.g. If your 'OnClick' script only raises an alert box, then the
'OnActivate' does not fire.  If your 'OnClick' script unhides another
section, then the 'OnActivate' does fire.

Did I mention how aggregating this was to learn?
</tip>

RonL.

(Off now to waste time figuring out how to re-design those 'run once but
never run a second time' 'initialization' scripts and work my way around
this bugger.)