[thelist] GET vs. POST

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Wed Feb 20 16:46:08 CST 2002

When creating forms we have an option to use GET or POST methods.  I was
wondering if there are any specific reasons that people use GET or POST or
if it is just a matter of preference.  Are there any tradeoffs between the
two?  Are there any differences with how the back button will work? Are
there any other issues?

I guess I will start with one obvious difference, that GET is limited in the
number of characters unlike POST.

But what else?

Josh