[thelist] content management systems?

Dan Romanchik dan at danromanchik.com
Wed Feb 20 18:28:01 CST 2002

I've been using phpWebSite (phpwebsite.appstate.edu), and find it to be very
easy to customize and use. I've even written a couple of simple plug-ins for
it. I think it's a good choice if you're running on a shared server.

About a year ago I looked at Midgard, too. If I remember correctly, one of
the things that turned me away from it was that it required root access to
install. Obviously, not something you're going to be able to do if you don't
have your own server (or a very liberal ISP).

I played around a little with Zope, too, when I converted an older computer
(233 MHz Pentium, 64 MB RAM) to Linux and actually did have root access. I
had high hopes for Zope (no pun intended), but it ran very slowly on my
Linux box and the learning curve was very steep.

I think if I had my own, relatively fast server to play with, I'd look into
Cocoon, which is part of the Apache Project. It's XML-based, and because
it's part of Apache, I'm sure there's plenty of support for it.

Maybe some day....

Dan
Dan Romanchik - FreeAgent Writer, Editor,  and Web Developer
dan at danromanchik.com, 734-930-6564