[thelist] OT: cybercafe-style computer login/management system w/ print quota...

Martin Kuplens-Ewart martin at takingitglobal.org
Wed Feb 20 23:41:04 CST 2002

I apologise for posting OT here... Couldn`t think of anywhere else to
ask...

The organisation I work with is looking at completely re-equipping the
computer lab we run with new computers. One of the things we would like
to do, as we are running it for a host organisation, would be to have
some form of print quota system enabled... Have a default number of
pages printable per day/week/whatever... With the option of
purchasing/being awarded extra credits as necessary.

Ideally, something along the lines of the cybercafe-style software
setup... With a customisable login screen, etc. would be ideal, as we
would be hoping to replicate this setup in multiple locations worldwide
in the not-too-distant future.

O, and they'll be running XP [tho that'll prolly not make a diff.]

Anyway,

I'd be very glad to get some input/ideas/thoughts/suggestions as to
routes to take, or specific software to look at.

Thanks,

-martin

<tip type="Staff Meetings">
Regular [weekly] staff meetings are a gem in the crown of any successful
team-oriented environment. Devoting that one or two hours a week on a
specific day can make the difference between low staff morale [leading
to high turnover] and successful completion of projects, as tasks,
needs, and availabilities can be co-ordinated at them. They also are
really handy when trying to deal with burn-out, as you're able to get
everyone up to speed on where you are at personally and
professionally... Plus, if done well, they can be fun -> bring in a
game, buy some lego... Get people to relax, and life in the office will
improve exponentially.
</tip>