[thelist] Aligning a table with CSS?

Sergey 'the Eych' Smirnov eych at ageofweb.ru
Thu Feb 21 03:14:01 CST 2002

Greetings,

I have a little problem. I suddenly noticed that "align" attribute
that i am using to align a table (not the contents of the table!) on
the page. I usually make a with of, sat, 90% and put align="center" as
a table attribute and all browsers that i know put the table in the
middle of the page.

But according to HTML 4.0 and 4.01 specification there is no such
attribute as "align" for a table (and i didn't even notice that it is
deprecated - it just doesn't exist, and at the same time it works).

So general recommendation from W3C is to use CSS for formatting
everywhere, but i just can't figure out the way i can align tables
(once again, not the contents!) with CSS. "text-align" is a completely
different thing, as far as i understand.

So, can anyone help me?

-- eych